Like this thing?
I originally wrote this because I love finding random things and I was disappointed when I came across a user who
r/random isn't actually random.
I figured I could make something more random. And it just grew from there.
The way this works is that a random English word is chosen to
search against the above sources and then a random result from that query is returned. There are
some other minor tweaks based on the source, but that is overview.
I understand that this is far from truly random, hence the name.
Wondering about me?
To make a bookmark button that automatically takes you directly to a result for the above criteria, use the following URL:
|You have no recent history or have cleared your cookies.|
Version Six 2022 03 04
Complete redesign for desktop and mobile
- Now an infinite horizontal scroller on desktop
- Now an infinite vertical scroller on mobile
- Added Spotify as a source
- Word dictionary updated to contain less obscure words (helps with speed)
- Updates to multiple searches to make them faster
- Removed Internet Archive search (it was too slow)
- Removed history (no longer needed with scrolling behavior)
- Refactored back-end code to be more structured
2021 06 11
- Added Internet Archive item search
- Updated YouTube searching module
- Add pull-down animation for mobile
2020 09 25
- Pull down on mobile now re-rolls random choice
- You can now re-roll specific words by clicking them from the history tab
- Your reroll source will be whatever is selected in the menu
- If no results are found, you'll get a new random word
- Add Open Graph metadata to main page for friendly social media sharing
- Minor fix to disable menu change while loading
- Handle AJAX errors better: retry and if it still fails, display alert
2020 09 16
- Added Open Graph preview rendering for links
- Added History tab to show recent rolls
- Updated layout to be mobile friendly
2020 09 07